Sunday 18 November 2012

A Happy Ending Indeed !

 ES2007s-Professional Communication  is a core module in my course of study .So during the CORS bidding , I had to go all out to somehow get this module and I ended spending nearly 2000 points. As a result of this,my mind was filled with regret for a long time. However ,I walked into the my first class and we were immediately asked to fill in answers to some questions that involved interacting with the other students of our class. I was the first to finish and Brad gave me a 3$ Koufu food coupon.At that very moment for some reason I felt that I was going to love this module. The validity of that coupon was till the 30th of September 2012.However, I still have it safely in my room as a token of remembrance or a memento. That is testimony to how true that thought was.

As I am writing this blog, I feel so enriched  as I have gained an insight to so may aspects about interpersonal communication in such short time. During this course, I  definitely improved  writing skills, my verbals and non-verbals through the various sections of this module such as  publishing blog posts,writing an effective cover letter and resume ,having peer teaching lessons ,the elevator pitch and the mock job interviews.

I especially enjoyed the work I put in during the business proposal along with the oral presentation as we had to use all the skills we had learnt up till then and use it efficiently as well .For the written proposal, I learnt how important it was to write in an effective manner  and follow the 7 'C's such that no part of  our proposal was lose or unclear in terms of the structure and organisation as well as the  desired impact we wanted to give to the reader .For the oral presentation, though I had prior experience with presenting to the class through the peer teaching lesson,  this time I really understood the importance "being" the presentation. Thus I realized the need to have a formal outlook of myself which involved absolute control over my verbals and my non-verbals.

Nevertheless ,I must say that I  also learnt a lot from this module during the class activities which made me realize the importance of listening  carefully and responding appropriately.This was the time where in we were all present in a forum of sorts which always had room for ample discussion about the various aspects of effective communication such as inter-cultural communication networking,team-building and leadership skills .Since the classroom was also a forum for debriefing sessions, I was always able to grasp a lot of relevant points or aspects  that I could utilize in the future.

As they say, 'All good things must come to an end' and that is true for this module as well.More than anything I will miss the company I had during the entire course of this module as I was part of two amazing teams ,the peer teaching team of Chandra,Laura,Huiyun and the business proposal team (SHSS INC) of Sumea,Han and Shiying .Apart from them I can also never forget my other classmates Minthu,Rohit,Eric,Ronald,Yea Wen,YongSheng,Thao,Bernard,Ding Ding and last but not the least my professor Brad (without whom this module would be only half as much fun)  as each of them have played a vital role in shaping myself to not only be a better communicator but a better person as a whole.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Sai

    I have known you from 7th grade. I know how your communication skills have improved over the years. But I am sure this semester would have made you a more professional communicator. Since high school, you have been an outgoing person who used to express his views and opinions. What I appreciate is that there was no difference in you right from day 1 of this course. You were the same Sai, outgoing and friendly, in a new environment comprising of people from different cultures, age-groups. This is something that will aid you throughout your life. I am glad to have worked with you in the peer presentation. This was the first time that I had worked with you in a project and it was a lot of fun. Though this module is done, I am sure that you will continue to improve your communication skills further through internships and several other presentations we may be doing in the years to come. All the best, Sai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were one of the most fun people in this class :) Gangnam style

      Delete
    2. Hey Chandra,
      I too am glad that I took this module with you and I am also happy about the fact that though we meet each other nearly every day you have noticed a change in my communication skills.I really do hope that we can further improve our communication skills in the near future.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sai,

    I didn’t know that ES2007S is one of your core modules! All along I thought all of us took it up as an elective to aid us in improving our communication skills. Little did I expect that you spent nearly 2000 points to bid for this module as I only spent 1 point! Now I feel bad for fighting hard for this module with people who have it as their core module. Nevertheless, I am glad that I did so if not I would have missed out the gist of this module as well as the awesome classmates! Like you mentioned on your comment on my blog post, I am the first Chinese you talked to in the first lesson and I am glad to be the one too. Throughout this module, we have all witnessed how the ever friendly Sai grew from an outgoing communicator, to now an effective and professional communicator. The route to becoming an effective communicator is not easy and it requires a lot of hard work and practices to make this soft skill a part of us. However, we can now proudly say that we “been there and done that!”

    All the best in developing a constant improvement in your communication skills in the future! I believe we will be able to put it into good use when we pursue our careers in the near future! All the best for your future endeavours and hope to see you around school! :)

    Cheers,
    Yong Sheng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey YongSheng,
      Thank you for spending your time to comment on this post.It is very evident that we all have learnt a great deal through this course and it is up to us to put it to practice in our daily lives.Nevertheless,I wish you the best of luck as well and hope we keep in touch in the years to come.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sai,

    I am nowhere better than you as I spent more than 1500 points for this module and I did not even get a Koufu voucher. Even though both of us throw in so many points for this module, we gained a lot eventually, making our points really worth it. I have seen an improvement in your presentation skill from peer teaching to oral presentation. Lastly, I will always remember you as the Sai who loves to dance and your Gangnum Style dance is definitely the perfect ending for this module. All the best for your future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Yea Wen ,
      I could not agree more with the fact that we have definitely gained a lot of experience through this module.In any case ,I indeed am happy to know that I was able to do my best to bring a sense of joy and happiness in the minds of my classmates.Thanks a lot for your kind words!

      Delete
  4. Hello Sai!

    I hope you do not feel so hurt but I have to say this. I bid 1 point for this course. I did not know this course require intensive bidding. Oh well, putting this aside. I am glad you have bid 2000 points for this course, because I have met an amazing person like you. You have made the class atmosphere lively and I know, even when you are tired and lack of sleep, you do not show it in class. Like what Yea Wen commented, I will always remember you as the INDIAN GANGNUM! Rock on! Please keep on having this enthusiastic spirit in life and we shall keep in touch soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sai,

    I still remember the conversation we had when we were discussing about our culture and I was fascinated by your excitement when you introduced your culture. You described it so vividly and I was able to visualise what you were saying.

    The feedback you give in class is always very encouraging and enlightening to us and I'm sure you've learnt aplenty from the rest of the class too. I'm glad to have met you in this course because you never fail to lighten the atmosphere with your easy going nature.

    It's funny that you kept the voucher instead of using it but now I'm certain it would mean so much more to you whenever you see it. I hope you will continue to inspire others with your jokes and dance moves and I wish you all the best in improving your communication skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ronald,
      I am glad that I made friends with a person like you as well.I really do hope we stay in touch in the future and wish you all the best for your FYP!

      Delete
  6. Hi Sai,

    I really like your oppa gangnum style, haha. It was so fun! During the course, you helped me understand much more about Indian culture. I will not leave a long comment because we still have a lot of chances to meet later. It's nice making friend with you and all the best for your final exams.

    Cheers,
    Thao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Thao,
      I too believe that through this module we have shared a lot of fun times together.As you said , I really look forward towards working with you in the coming years as CEG batch mates.Nevertheless,I wishh you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

      Delete
  7. hi baby sai!!

    I will actually miss your whistling and dancing allot! I like fun say allot but I also like the serious say that works hard to accomplish it! So much respect for you! You are only 18 and already so goal focused and know what you want. It has been an amazing semester, and I had allot of valuable moments working with you on the project! You have learned me allot, about your culture about you in generally. Yes it has been an hectic class, but it was worth it when having you in class. I will for sure miss you allot and hopefully we will meet again!

    Wish you all the best in the future!!!

    Best regards, Sumea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sumea mamma!
      I really will miss the fun we had as part of the SHSS INC.It has definitely been an amazing semester and I really have learnt a lot from you.I too hope that we will meet again either in Norway or in India.Wish you the very best of luck in the future and I will honestly miss you a lot ,so do stay in touch!

      Delete
  8. Hello Baby Sai!

    You this little dancing and whistling machine! In the beginning, I didn’t know you, Chandra and Rohit were so young! Not because you guys looked old, but because all of you can portray yourself very well and present in such an amazing manner. I feel inferior beside all of you! When I was 18 years old of age, I am still in my second year of junior college, playing soccer and preparing for my ‘A’ levels! But here you guys are, going through university education with a focused and determined mind. I am ashamed.

    Still, it was a joy having grouped up with you for SHSS Inc project and the fact that you guys are willing to come over to the little humble house of mine for meeting was really very touching. I hope for the best for youm my “Ex-boyfriend” and I will miss you!

    Regards,
    Your “Ex-Girlfriend” and the puppy Shiying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Puppy Shiying,
      I was always a fan of your positive attitude towards life and I feel privileged to have made friends with a person like you.I really enjoyed the times we spent together this semester,especially the time when we came to your house.
      Nevertheless,I hope that we stay in touch in the coming semesters and I will surely miss you too!

      Delete
  9. This is my favorite post by you, Sai. I really appreciate the opening anecdote, with the clear display of tension between your use of 2000 bidding points for ES2007S and the Koufu voucher I gave you for winning the opening "contest." You then segue beautifully from that to a well developed (seamless, effortless) overview of your take aways.

    Thanks for the exceptional post. This may very well be the last post I read from an ES2007S G7 student this term (unless Laura or Ding Ding magically post tonight), and that would suit me just fine. End with a bang! Go out in style. You made my evening.

    In general, you've done a very fine job this term -- and the dance was stellar. Keep the rhythm, Sai, and enjoy your next stage in the learning journey!

    ReplyDelete